Splashed white paper is published

Druck

The long-awaited splashed white paper has now been published in PLoS Genetics. The full article can be read here.

As a number of people predicted, the MITF gene is involved, but there are also some surprises. One of them is that the authors looked into the odd case of the Freiberger stallion, Apache. Above is his picture from the paper, and the link from his name will take you to a site with more pictures. His owners called his odd color and pattern “macchiato.” He’s been in my “mystery” files since I first stumbled across him a year or so ago, so I was tickled to see that he was included in the paper.

It will take me a day or so, but I will try to put up a plain English summary of the paper. It is an exciting time for those of us interested in animal coloration!

8 Responses to Splashed white paper is published

1. Leah April 12, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

I recall once coming across a pic of a blue-eyed Clydesdale with a similar pattern. Another unique mutation, one must wonder!

• The Equine Tapestry April 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

It really does make you wonder just how many unique mutations are out there, and how many there have been in the past!

2. Sally April 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

That is really interesting! I don’t profess to undersatnd all the technical detail but enough to see that it does reinforce what we have all been thinking in many areas. Fascinating! I will be interested to see your ‘plain English’ explanation. Thank you for sharing.

3. ilovehorses.net (@ilovehorsesnet) April 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

What breed is Apache? He sure does have a “Clydesdale sabino” pattern. I’m very interested in reading your interpretations of the paper, Lesli.

Kristin Berkery

• The Equine Tapestry April 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

He is a Freiberger, also called the Franches-Montagnes. That’s the breed where dominant white was first identified. That is why I assumed that was what he was, until I saw his pedigree. He’s not related to those horses.

4. Leah April 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

A “plain English” summary would be great! Thanks so much!

5. Another color addict May 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I noticed that Apache’s sire has several foals that look like small marked sabinos. Or is some how related to them atleas as I don’t understand french? at all.
    Btw, great blog. :)

• The Equine Tapestry May 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

I am glad you have enjoyed the blog! And sabino markings – at least the “flashy white” variety – are pretty common in that breed.