Another manchado overo

PatoPony1

As I mentioned in the comments of my previous post, Martina Vannelli sent me photos of an oddly patterned Argentinian Polo Pony. I suspected at the time that he was another manchado. His spotting pattern is smaller and denser than that of the others I have seen, but I suspect that may be the effect of one of the sabino genes. Often sabino interacts with other patterning genes by breaking down the original pattern into smaller pieces.

PatoPony2

His leg raps make it hard to see his markings but it appears that he has stockings on at least some of his legs. And of course his blazed face is typical of sabino.

We honestly don’t have enough pictures of manchado from enough angles to know exactly what it does, but given that it is primarily a top-down dorsal pattern (unlike sabino which is a bottom-up ventral pattern) I think that sabino might be redirecting the pattern somewhat on this horse. The markings here on the chest are a good example. It is a location that I would expect on a sabino, but the character of the patterning is a little different.

This is the angle that, to me at least, looks most like the manchado pattern. The round appaloosa-like spots is typical – just there are more of them, and each spot is smaller – as is the white tail. White tails seem to be a pretty consistent feature of the pattern.

I want to thank Martina for allowing me to share her photographs. And for those that just like to see pretty horse imagery, I highly recommend her Flickr account. She does beautiful work documenting the horses in Argentina.

8 Responses to Another manchado overo

1. Martina June 26, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Larger jpeg can be found herer https://picasaweb.google.com/113245811857769413671/ColorReference#

2. The Equine Tapestry June 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

Martina also mentioned that he’s not a polo pony, but rather a pato horse. That’s why his mane is shaved. I was trying to see the mane color because a white mane is one of the characteristics of manchado. (You can see the white extending up the crest of the neck on the last photo.)

Here is a good video that explains the game of pato.

A member on another forum suggested that it was a bit like quidditch on horseback. That sounds about right!

3. Leah June 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I agree it’s probably a variation on sabino – there are many patterns that have a huge amount of overlap.

I found this photographer’s set of Criollo horses. The old sabino patterns are still in this group of horses, and some are stunning.

4. The Equine Tapestry June 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

He may well be, Leah. The South American horses can get some really strange patterning. It was the spotting on his hindquarters (and knowing that sabino breaks patterns down into smaller sections) that made me suspect. But it is impossible to know with so little information about both him individually and the manchado pattern in general.

5. Rebecca Turner July 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

but if its got sabino in it doesn’t it need to have some white feet (socks) ? this horse looks to have all solid colored feet?
    Rebecca Turner

6. The Equine Tapestry July 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

If you look at the first photo, you can see he appears to have white on the right front and the left hind. His left front appears dark, but I can’t tell (with any confidence at least) from the photos about the right hind. So two white feet at least. I have many times wished his leg wraps were off so we could see what was going on with the pattern on his lower legs!

7. Rebecca Turner July 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

oh ok I see it now.. I looked before and to me it looked solid but now that I see it again your right.. 2 of them are white.. and yea it would be interesting to see his legs! darn it…
    oh and leslie I knew before what a sabino was and how to tell kind of.. but never quite got tobiano or overo.. and how to tell them apart..and now I get it.. you explained it very well and now I even get how to tell if thee is sabino in thee too!. its really kind of simple except for when you get into mixing them but now i get the difference! thank you.. I cant wait for your book.. wish it was in color but I get why its not.. I was in publishing for years so yea. its pretty expense.. I think this new print on demand though it great! I may wrote a book on sculpting someday and thats how Id have to go I think..

8. Kim Blue July 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Hola…este pony polo argentino debe estar mezclado con la raza Appaloosa…El polo pony argentino siempre son zainos, alazanes y tordillos, y nunca con manchas, esta mancha solo se obtiene al cruzar con un Appaloosa…. es Manta Nevada Extendida Leopardo Alazán.